Summer Reading 2013
- The GFL Summer Reading Program lasts for 8 weeks, from June 29th until August 24th; however, you can join at any time during the summer.
- We have different programs for different ages from preschool to adult.
- Kids will receive incentives for each of the four levels they complete, along with a ticket to enter into the grand prize drawing held at the end of the summer.
- Each child will receive a log sheet to record their success.
- Preschool levels are completed by having parents read books to them. Primary, Tween, and Teen levels are completed by reading a certain number of hours (counted down in minutes) per level.
- The adult summer reading program does not have levels, but instead, tickets are awarded for each book read to be entered into the grand prize drawing held at the end of the summer.
Parents, why should you enroll you kids in the Summer Reading Program?
Research has shown that children who continue to read during the summer vacation perform better in the fall when school resumes, and that even reading for simple summer enjoyment helps children with literacy skills, while helping prevent learning losses.
Easy Ways to Grow a Great Reader (early literacy tips for parents PDF)
Summer Reading Kick-off Party 2013
SATURDAY, JUNE 29th – Noon to 2:00 pm
ALL AGES FAMILY EVENT!
To kick-off the 2013 Summer Reading Program
Presented by the Penn Dixie Paleontological and Outdoor Education Center
Are you interested in Fossils? What are fossils? How are they formed? Have you ever seen a fossil? Would you like to see a dinosaur bone? Have you ever seen petrified wood? What did this area look like 380 million years ago? Find the answers to these questions and more at the GFL Summer Reading Kick-off Event!
MORE GFL Summer Reading Events
Join us for 8 weeks of Fun!
The theme for July is “Dig Into the Past”
The theme for August is “Beneath the Surface”
All Ages & Family Events
- Saturday, June 29th noon until 2:00 pm – Summer Reading Kick-off
- Saturday, July 27th noon until 2:00 pm – Afternoon Matinee: Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (PG). Free popcorn, bring a drink.
- Thursday, August 15th 6:30 until 7:30 pm – Puppet Show: Gumshoe McMonocle & the Strange Case of Rumplesomething – presented by the Omnipresent Puppet Theater.
- Saturday, August 24th noon until 2:00 pm – Summer Reading Finale: prize drawings, and final day to hand in log sheets.
Preschool Programs: Ages 2 to 5 Years
- Saturday, July 13th 12:30 until 1:30 pm – When Dinosaurs Came with Everything—story-time, activities & snack.
- Saturday, August 10th 12:30 until 1:30 pm – Diary of a Worm—story-time, activities & snack.
Primary Programs: Ages 6 to 8 Years
(Parents may leave children unattended for the duration of these programs)
- Tuesday, July 9th 6:00 until 7:00 pm – Salt Dough Fossils: we’ll be creating our very own “fossils” by imprinting salt dough.
- Tuesday, August 13th 6:00 until 7:00 pm – Cave Painting: we’ll be cave painting in our basement!
Tween Programs: Ages 9 to 12 Years
- Tuesday, July 23rd 6:00 until 7:00 pm – Where’s My Mummy?: we’ll be watching Scooby-Doo videos and making our own bendable mummy.
- Tuesday, August 20th 5:00 until 7:00 pm – Grow your own Geodes—this (extended) program mixes art with science as we grow our own geode crystals.
Teen Programs: Ages 13 to 18 Years
- Tuesday, July 2nd 5:00 until 8:00 pm – Rome: the Golden Age—civilization and battle simulation game. This program begins our summer long teen contest to see who will rule all of ancient Rome! *Those who enter the competition will work on their characters every Tuesday at their designated times until the contest is over.
- Tuesday, August 6th 5:00 until 7:00 pm – Zentangle—meditative art. Zentangle is an easy-to-learn, relaxing, and fun way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns. If you’ve ever doodled, you can Zentangle! The Zentangle method is enjoyed all over this world across a wide range of skills, interests and ages.
Book Lists from the Gowanda Free Library:
To order any of these titles please call or stop into the Gowanda Free Library. You may also request these titles online through our OPAC online database. You will need your library card number as well as your PIN number. Happy Reading!
Summer Reading Links
A Free Book, Summer Reading Kit and More
Read – Log Minutes – Earn Rewards
This reading-focused reward program encourages students ages 12 or younger at school or the library to read at least 10 books that they record on their “Bookworm Club” record card.
Once a student completes all 10 books they will earn a free kid’s meal at Applebee’s (when accompanied by an adult making a purchase).
Chuck E. Cheese has a summer reading program where kids can earn free 10 Chuck E. Cheese tokens for reading each day for 2 weeks.
This summer reading program goes on all year.
Read Books Online:
Children’s authors read their books in e-book format
Read streaming e-books online
USER NAME = patron / PASSWORD= ebooks
Read streaming e-books online
USER NAME = patron1 / PASSWORD= ebooks
Many thanks to this year’s GFL Summer Reading Program sponsors, without whom we absolutely couldn’t do what we do!
The Attic Place
Gowanda Area Federal Credit Union
Gernatt Asphalt Products
Kiwanis of Gowanda
Dr. Robert Dowrey
Shop & Save