Summer Reading Program 2014
- The GFL Summer Reading Program lasts for 6 weeks, from June 21st until August 2; however, you can join at any time during the summer.
- We have different programs for different ages from preschool to adult.
- Kids will receive incentives for each of the four levels they complete, along with a ticket to enter into the grand prize drawing held at the end of the summer.
- Each child will receive a log sheet to record their success.
- Preschool levels are completed by having parents read books to them. Primary, Tween, and Teen levels are completed by reading a certain number of hours (counted down in minutes) per level.
- The adult summer reading program does not have levels, but instead, tickets are awarded for each book read to be entered into the grand prize drawing held at the end of the summer.
Parents, why should you enroll you kids in the Summer Reading Program?
Research has shown that children who continue to read during the summer vacation perform better in the fall when school resumes, and that even reading for simple summer enjoyment helps children with literacy skills, while helping prevent learning losses.
Easy Ways to Grow a Great Reader (early literacy tips for parents PDF)
Summer Reading Kick-off Party 2014
SATURDAY, JUNE 21st – Noon to 2:00 pm
ALL AGES FAMILY EVENT!
To kick-off the 2014 Summer Reading Program
MORE GFL Summer Reading Events
Join us for 6 weeks of Fun!
All Ages & Family Events
- Saturday, June 21st from noon until 2:00 pm- Summer Reading Kick-off Party!
- Saturday, June 28th noon until 2:00 pm – Come see a Science-Fiction classic! (Rated PG). For more details call or come into the library. Free popcorn and refreshment provided!
- Thursday, July 18th 5:00 until 6:00 pm – Nan Hoffman, a folk singer and puppeteer, will be performing in the Community Room! Enjoy fun music and entertaining wooden puppets!
- Saturday, August 2nd from noon until 2:00 pm – Summer Reading Finale: prize drawings, and final day to hand in log sheets.
Preschool Programs: Ages 2 to 5 Years
(Parents are encouraged to participate with their children)
Saturday, July 22nd from 6:00 until 7:00 pm – Tangram Story-time and Craft. Snack and refreshment provided!
Primary Programs: Ages 6 to 8 Years
(Parents may leave children unattended for the duration of these programs)
- Tuesday, June 24th from 6:00 until 7:00 pm – Soda Pop! Com enjoy fun trivia about your favorite soft drink, test your taste buds in the Coke and Pepsi Challenge and make your very own Soda!
Tween Programs: Ages 9 to 12 Years.
- Tuesday, August 20th 4:00 until 7:00 pm – Create a bracelet or key-chain with your name written in binary code and watch a Science Fiction movie (PG rating). Pizza and refreshment provided.
Teen Programs: Ages 13 to 18 Years
- Saturday, July 2nd 11:30 until 1:30 pm – Get Your Game On! Play in our Magic the Gathering Tournament, bring your own game to play, or play one of the many games the library owns! Pizza and refreshment provided!
Book Lists from the Gowanda Free Library:
To order any of these titles please call or stop into the Gowanda Free Library. You may also request these titles online through our OPAC online database. You will need your library card number as well as your PIN number. Happy Reading!
Summer Reading Links
A Free Book, Summer Reading Kit and More
Read – Log Minutes – Earn Rewards
This reading-focused reward program encourages students ages 12 or younger at school or the library to read at least 10 books that they record on their “Bookworm Club” record card.
Once a student completes all 10 books they will earn a free kid’s meal at Applebee’s (when accompanied by an adult making a purchase).
Chuck E. Cheese has a summer reading program where kids can earn free 10 Chuck E. Cheese tokens for reading each day for 2 weeks.
This summer reading program goes on all year.
Read Books Online:
Children’s authors read their books in e-book format
Read streaming e-books online
USER NAME = patron / PASSWORD= ebooks
Read streaming e-books online
USER NAME = patron1 / PASSWORD= ebooks
Many thanks to this year’s GFL Summer Reading Program sponsors, without whom we absolutely couldn’t do what we do!
Gowanda Area Federal Credit Union
Gernatt Asphalt Products, Inc. of Collins
Kiwanis of Gowanda
Gabel Brothers Furniture Inc.
Gowanda Shop & Save
Olympia Family Restaurant